Thursday, June 15, 2006

Out of my league

One of my eighth grade summer school students came up to me yesterday and asked if my stomach hurt when I was pregnant and how I knew I was pregnant. She said her stomach was hurting, and then I couldn't tell whether she said she was two weeks late, or two months late, or in two weeks it would be two months, or what. Something like that, with the bottom line being that she was late. This is when I decided that I wasn't necessarily equipped to deal with this particular problem (I'd buy her a pregnancy test and then be at a loss as to what to do next--who to put her in contact with, etc.). I emailed the GMS counselor, and she put me in contact with the counselor at the school where I'm at (I didn't realize one was there for the summer), and I sent the girl to talk to her. Yikes. I'm 28 and pregnancy still scares me a little bit--this girl is probably 13 or 14.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

YIKES. that is scary. You should get Wendy to come out and give her sex ed. class to your students. But I guess it's to late for that!

Pam said...

Wow, I would not want to deal with that.

I guess it's good that Wendy's giving her sex talk to that grade level. Looks like they need it.