Friday, June 16, 2006

No, thanks

Here's a good reason to not get in trouble with the law while in the military:
A Master Sergent was on trial yesterday for negligent homicide (he hit a stopped car while driving down the freeway and killed a 15-year-old). His potential punishment? Twelve months in correctional custody (um, in military prisons, you have NO rights--they can do whatever they want to you, including physical violence, etc, and making your life in general MISERABLE. It's not like regular jail). He could be reduced to Airman Basic (the lowest rank), and he could get his pay docked by 2/3. And then a dishonorable discharge after said year. Now, I know he wouldn't have many expenses while in jail, but he's been in the military for a long time, and having your pay reduced to 1/3 of what they give 18-year-olds...not good. I would imagine that's around $500/month. Maybe.
Then again, this is something that I love about the military--I feel that their punisments are fairer, and more appropriate on a variety of levels. Hmm.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

At least there is justice somewhere in the court system.