Letting a baby cry it out is A LOT harder when it's your child than when it's just a kid you're babysitting.
We want Emily to be able to fall asleep in her crib without a pacifier or anything, and up until this point she's been nursed to sleep or rocked to sleep or had a binky. Some friends offered to let her spend the night on Friday night (hooray), which we're excited (okay, and nervous) about, but I don't want them to have a night like I had last night, where she's up until midnight because she keeps waking up and crying whenever her binky falls out. So I figure that if she can learn to use her binky to fall asleep, she can learn to fall asleep without it. So today starts the process, and supposedly it's the hardest. We're "Ferberizing" her (can you name that movie?), which means she's crying it out, but we go in and let her know that she's not been abandoned or anything. Hopefully this will work, and quickly.
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That does not sound like much fun, but I am sure it is for the best. Good luck.
It's hard but well worth it.
i HATE teaching kids to sleep.
Are you "shushing" her? Most babies like the "shhh" sound in their ears. It's calming. And you probably know this, but no lights, low voices, etc. The best to you all in getting this to work.
Post a Comment