Friday, May 19, 2006

Something only a nerd like me could get excited about

Our district reorganized our collateral reading lists last month. Basically, we have some classroom sets of novels that include the book on tape and some teaching materials. I generally read 3-4 novels a year with my classes. Well, when they reorganized/reassigned the books, it turned out that our library only had 3 sets that were designated 6th grade. And 7th grade had 15. To make matters worse, two of our sets are in DESPERATE need of replacement--they were paperbacks, and are starting to lose their covers/binding. The district offered to buy us a set of books...so we chose to replace one of the sets that the students absolutely love. Today I got the good news that our librarian chose to replace the two damaged sets because the district said they'd buy my top 3 choices of new books, in hardback, along with the teaching materials & tape/CD. I'm so excited! And again, a nerd.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

YES how exciting

Anonymous said...

Books are the tools of the classroom. I always get excited when old tools are replaced with new.

Sarah said...

how is that nerdy?

Wendy said...

I don't think it is nerdy. I love getting new stuff for my classroom as well. It is probably nice not to have to worry about taping the books together again for a new round with junior high students.

In this corner: Highly excitable, clumsy, doesn't have a clue junior high student. A little kid in an adult size body.

In this corner: Novel that will disintegrate into little pieces at slightest touch.

Not a very fair fight. It is cool that they will be purchasing hard backs next.

Pam said...

New things are usually fun. Especially when we don't have to buy them ourselves.