Wednesday, May 24, 2006

One (big) step closer to being "ready" (if there is such a thing)

Last night Jon and I went to the epidural class/prenatal tour. The hospital requires that we attend in order to receive an epidural--so I signed up in February. We watched a video showing the pros & cons, so I guess now I'm informed. They also kind of walked us through what happens when we come in, where we go, what their routines are, what to expect, etc. It was a tiny dose of reality, which was a tad scary, but very exciting, too.
There was "the" couple there, though. You know the ones, asking random questions, no grasp of reality (or listening skills for that matter). They were concerned that the hospital doesn't have a NICU--don't they pay attention? I mean, I knew that before I was even pregnant! When you choose your doctor, don't you look into the hospital a little bit? They didn't know that they needed to name a pediatrician, or at least didn't have one they wanted to go to. There were more concerns that they had on the tour (birth balls, low lights, soothing music), and it was all I could do not to refer them to either a birth center (seemed more up their alley by some of the questions they were asking) or to LSUS/one of the huge hospitals. Anyway, I'm glad I'm not her doctor or nurse.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

At least you were pregnant long enough for the hospital tour! With you we didn't have a clue!

The Kiesel's said...

I remember getting to this point. By the way, I highly recommend the birth ball. Until I was in REALLY active labor, it was the only thing that helped with the pain. It was also the only way to move Jack big head long enough to let my already broken water sack out. Fun stuff!

Wendy said...

So did you make any decisions about the birth?

Chris Steele said...

I know that I definitely want an epidural, if at all possible.

Wendy said...

Amen sister.