Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Roller coaster/war

So, recently I've been accusing the girls of tag-teaming me in the sleep/crying department. Each of them seems to be on their own separate roller coaster. For a couple of nights last week they simply staggered their awake time at night--if Ellen was up from 1-2 to eat, Emily would wake up at 3. Then Ellen would be back up at 4 or 5... Emily generally just wakes up and comes in our room and has to be put back--her "episodes" only require leaving the bed for a couple of minutes (but I'm woken up, nonetheless). Apparently this is retribution for similar crimes that I committed when I was her age. However, there were a few nights when they were really out to get me. One night Emily would have her quick awake period(s), and Ellen would have a marathon awake time of 2+ hours. Then the next night Ellen would be an awesome sleeper with even 5 hours between feedings, but Emily would have a marathon awake time of 2+ hours. Weird. I'm almost hesitant to say that we've had okay nights the last two nights--Emily has been up only once (I think), which I can handle, and Ellen has eaten & returned to bed in a reasonable amount of time. Ellen had a rather colicky day yesterday (she wanted to be held nonstop, and only slept when Jon held her), but again, slept well at night. One day I'll figure it all out, and they'll both sleep all night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard right now, but it WILL get easier!! I hope you get good, restful sleep tonight!

The Kiesel's said...

I was thinking about kid number two... But I'm think we'll stick with one for now.

Anonymous said...

let me know if u figure it out last night i had THREE playing musical beds i give up

Jessica said...

yikes! do you ever think to yourself, "how do people survive?" and then realize you are surviving?! good job, chris--you get little sleep & still schedule play dates!

Wendy said...

Wow, I am not looking forward to a second kiddo to worry about. I am not good with little sleep. Good luck.