This article shows some of the values of my "alternative" high school. We do have an "alternative" population, so we teach in an "alternative" way. It's very different than my past experiences with alt. ed.
That said, this week I experienced a bit of culture shock. My week-old cell phone that I received for my birthday was stolen from my classroom. I'm heartbroken, because I loved it (as much as one can love a cell phone). I'm still working with my cousin (who works for Sprint) and insurance to try to get a replacement, but there are things like rebates that may or may not be forfeited. It's a mess. And then I learned that there are people that will take their stroller into a store, load it up, and walk out. Or they'll do that at Wal-Mart or Safeway with groceries. I know it's not just here, but one girl admitted that every single thing she had for her baby was stolen. Holy cow. So while I can't understand why someone would keep a phone that is useless to them (Sprint phones don't have SIM cards, so no one can reactivate it), I'm beginning to see that it's not necessarily for the phone. It's for the addiction.
Teacher Appreciation week must be AWESOME around here.
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
arrgh...that stinks about your cell phone. I hope it all works out. That's crazy about stealing but there are people out there like that but it still blows my mind.
Yeah, the whole stealing thing is crazy to me. I just have to remind myself that not everyone grows up with the same experience and values. cool article. Must be pretty crazy to teach in such a different environment.
I'm so sorry about the phone. What a bummer!! But hey it's good to hear that you have kept your sense of humor!! Let us know if you receive your phone back on teacher appreciation week!!
cindy told me about the phone, that stinks, I'm sorry. I didn't initially realize how discouraging the situation actually is, but it is your classroom where you're in charge so I can see how having something taken from you can feel awful in that atmosphere. That really is a bummer, set aside the loss of a phone.
Post a Comment