Friday, July 14, 2006

Random remembrances from the hospital

Why do they draw your blood the day after you've had a baby at 5am?

When the nurse comes in the middle of the night to take vital signs, why doesn't she just bring the Tylox (pain meds) with her?

I am glad that I do not have to clean L & D bathrooms.

They should give you a folder or something to put all of your paperwork in. Everyone brings you something, and it'd be nice to have one central place to put it. Especially since it amounts to a small novel's worth of material.

And about that paperwork--how do they expect a drugged new mom to remember anything that they say? Today, a week later, I finally looked through some of it. And learned that Emily was 6 lbs. 6 oz. when she was discharged--a question that the pediatrician asked me Wednesday and I couldn't answer. Oh well.

Why don't the postpartum rooms have lights on a dimmer switch? You almost need those more in the middle of the night to nurse than you do to have a baby. Besides, if you're looking for that "calm, serene environment" in which to give birth, you'll have to find a doctor who does deliveries without those big spotlights.

Is there a better place for a pulse ox. than your pointer finger? Especially during pushing and nursing--it's annoying. And alarms much too easily.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

HAHA that is so true and hysterical

Chris Steele said...

And the epidural shakes are weird.

snotbottom said...

I messed up on Curter's birth certificate. It came back that Paul was born in Oklahoma instead of Oregon. We had two lights... a dim one above my head.