Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The battle of wills

On Monday we had an epic food battle. We were asking Emily to finish 1/4 of a piece of peanut butter toast for breakfast, and she was testing boundaries. It lasted more than two hours. I went through periods of ignoring it, being angry/frustrated, and wanting to cry (when she was sobbing so hard that her face was all blotchy and she was shaking). Early on (like first half hour), one of the ways I made it lighthearted (for me) was to get pictures and document it on video...

Some translations--at first she's saying, "no pictures". Then she tries to tell me she's poopy (distraction technique). Later she says, "I don't like it."

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh wow. Funny now, maybe not then. So did she eat the whole thing or just a bite?

Chris Steele said...

Oh no, we won. She ate it all. After the 2 1/2 hours we let her down (we had things to do), but then she had to eat it for lunch.

Wendy said...

good for you!