Friday, December 16, 2005

Hush Day

We had a hush day at school today. While I was skeptical about it, it turned out to be our very own Christmas miracle. We gave each of the students a name-tag sized sticker with their name and 7 mustangs (our mascot). They were to be completely silent in the halls, classes, and cafeteria unless they were given permission to talk. If they did talk, we'd mark out a Mustang. At the end of the day they announced how many they had to have to go to the patio for the last half hour of school. It ended up being 5, but they didn't know. This helped with the "I already blew it" trouble-makers. There were still a few, but they were sent to the office. Anyway, it worked insanely well. I only had one left in class that actually deserved it--the other two chose to stay and help me clean up.
Second Christmas miracle--I had three kids transfer today. Two of them made me want to do the happy dance, the third was kind of in the middle. This was the best Christmas ever!

4 comments:

Brian Eberly said...

I wonder if that would work with our middle schoolers?? Hmmmm....

Joanne said...

A Christmas miricle! Except for the teachers phone ringing during class! Yikes. sorry

Aaron Geist said...

What was waiting for them at the patio?

Chris Steele said...

They got free cokes on the patio and had the opportunity to buy candy/concessions. That part was kind of a fundraiser for a teacher at the elementary school who is fighting cancer.